Header Picture

Header Picture

Friday, January 28, 2011

Potty Training

So this might be a post that I'll come back and update often. I dunno, haha, we'll see just how fast it takes him to catch on.

So we started PT Kaiden last saturday. I prepared myself by looking up all sorts of methods online and learned alot about cues that children give when they are ready to learn. So I made a plan and picked the method I thought would work best for Kaden-roo. I also bought alot of candy for incentives, salty snacks to keep him thirsty and all kinds of drinks to keep the fluid moving through him.

Naked boy watching Blues Clues, his favorite!

While PT you really have to constantly be aware of your child. If you see him starting to pee or doing the "potty dance" you have to be right there to rush him to the potty. I thought it would be really exhausting work constantly watching over him (like we have to do at other people's homes to keep him from terrorizing them. lol) especially becuase I'm usually by myself and almost 7 months preggo, but really I've enjoyed all the quality time we've been spending together! Not gonna lie, I'm a little sick of Blues Clues, but the cuddle time is so worth it.

The first few days were pretty tough with the PT business, but I noticed that every day he would improve a tiny bit. So I kept moving forward. The method I was trying is called the "3 Day Method" and I wont say I wasn't disappointed that he didnt get the concept within 3 days, but as long as he's improving thats all I cared about. Actually with Kaiden's schedule he's up between 7 30 am- 10 30 am (at which point he would hold his pee the WHOLE time. Since at nap/ bedtimes he gets a diaper). I wasnt sure if this was progress or not but was seriously amazed an almost 17 mth old could hold it that long! Then he takes a nap between 10:30- 12:30. He would then hold his pee for as long as he could which usually lasted until 4 pm when he would slowly start to trickle here and there. The best is when he would bend over to pick something up and a little would squirt out and startle him. Haha. This was the best learning time I decided since it was the only time he could no longer hold it and HAD to go. We didnt have much of this "prime time pee time" becuase he is ready for bed between 5:30 pm - 6 pm.


We have a naked lil ghost in our house!

I would say the 4th day was the hardest and the 5th day we took a break (we went to Idaho Falls for the day). On the 6th day I realized I would need to try something different. Twirk the "3 Day Method" just a bit for us. And thats where we are, the 6th day, which I can say is the best day so far! He even signed the "potty" sign for me! Which is a sign I taught him before we started this process but he refused to use. lol. AND he sat down on his potty and took the longest pee he has so far oh and he did it BEFORE his nap! It made me one proud momma!

Now that I've caught on to his cues and the times when he needs to go, its alot easier for the both of us. Its the days where he's showing even the tiniest bit of improvment that makes me want to keep going, becuase I knew PT would be hard, but I didnt realize it would be THIS hard. I really dont know if he'll get it completely or not. We may have to stop and try again after his brother arrives. But I"m glad I'm at least giving it a whirl while I've got the one on one time with him. Who knows, maybe next week he'll be a Potty Pro!


Naked bum!

***I'll update as needed so that I dont have to talk about potty stuff all the time in my future posts. I'll also make sure to post a link to this page anytime I have updated it.***



So I know its only been a few hours, but I thought I'd come back and share some pics and a video with ya'll! Enjoy!



Bored on the potty.


Happy on the potty!!!!!


Climbing onto the potty!


Sitting on the potty and talking to mommy!
**UPDATE**
Feb. 2, 2011
So PT (Potty Training) was going very slowly. He was making improvments here and there but soo slowly over the past 8 days. I wondered if we would have him PT before age 3! lol. I mean when I asked him "where's the potty?" he would run over to it, he knew and understood the sign for "potty" , he knew when he was peeing and he knew how to hold it for up to 4 hours. I knew he was ready, he was just resisting me! Let me tell ya, that's frustrating! So I did what all PT experts say to do when your child isn't progressing, we took a break. For 3 days he went back to diapers, the house was clean, and no messes for the momma to clean up. I forgot how easy life was! haha. Turns out he HATED being put back in diapers. He whined and fussed and just acted like a Boo Butt the whole 3 days. He even tried to take off his diaper and once succeeded even in zip up pajamas! (We still dont know how he did that one! He's a little Houdini in training!) I decided if we were going to try again we would have to do things completely different! This meant NEW treats (Dum Dum Pops) and a new method (standing up while peeing.) How much different can ya get? I figured trying to get him to pee sitting down wasn't working out so well, mostly becuase he HATES to just sit still, so why not try it the other way? Well today was the first day! He did really well!!!! Yes we had 4 trips to the potty after he started peeing a few feet away from it, yes he had 3 accidents where he didnt make it to the potty BUT the best thing of the whole day was right before bed he walked right up to his potty and acted like he wanted to go! Sure it was only a few drops but HE made the effort on his own! What a way to end the day! And I'm not kidding, those Dum Dum Pops were totally the way to go! Turns out I just needed the right incentive! When I would bring the candy bowl down for him he would scream and jump/ dance with excitement! It was so cute to watch. Oh and one more thing he started doing TODAY, he actually said the word "uh oh" when he started peeing! This is big becuase he's trying to tell us, even if it's a little late. I'm hoping this is it, but I dont want to jinx myself. I'll update in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment